If you are a loving, caring, energetic person, why not become a valuable resource and an important part of the St. Joseph's Hospitals family? Whether you give our patients and families a little extra "TLC" or help our hospital team members behind the scenes, YOU , volunteers, from teens through seniors, make a big difference.
In the assigned four hour shifts we can match your background, skills, interests and availability with our needs at one of our four hospitals.
Volunteer Opportunities at St. Joseph's Hospital:
Ambassador - Serve as a greeter and escort for patients, visitors and all other guests entering the hospital.
Shifts: Monday - Friday 8am-12pm, 12-4pm and 4-8pm
Escort- Greet patients and visitors, escort them to their destinations and expedite admissions and discharges.
Shifts: Monday - Friday 9am-1pm and 1-5pm
Eucharistic Ministers - Eucharistic Ministers are trained individuals that bring the gift of Eucharist to Catholic patients.
Shifts: Daily morning hours
Gift Shop - Greet customers, assist customers in selection of merchandise, deliver flowers and gifts to patients' rooms and help sort and display merchandise.
Shifts: Monday - Friday 9am-1pm, 1-5pm and 4-7pm
Saturday and Sunday 10am-4pm
Information Desk - Use your good people skills to greet patients and visitors, operate the computer to provide patient information and handle incoming calls.
Shifts: Monday - Friday 9am-1pm, 1-5pm, 5-8pm
Pastoral Care - Pastoral Care Visitors are lay individuals trained at St. Joseph's Hospital. They focus their visits on ministering and listening to patients and their families.
Shifts: Monday - Sunday 9am-7pm (flexible shifts)
Pet Therapy (Dogs Only) - Bring your special dog, after training, to interact with the patients, families and staff.
Shifts: Monday - Sunday 9-11am, 11am-2pm, 2-4pm, 4-6pm and 6-8pm
Surgery Waiting Rooms - Act as the liaison between families and patients.
Shifts: Monday - Friday 8am-12:30pm, 12:30-5pm and 4:30-8pm
Shuttle - Transport patients, visitors, employees and volunteers to all areas of the hospital campus.
Shifts: Monday - Friday 8am-12pm and 12-4pm
What You Can Expect From Us
As an official St. Joseph's Hospital volunteer, you will receive:
- An orientation to our hospital.
- Training and a service description specific to your volunteer assignment.
- Flexible schedule or mornings, afternoons, evenings or weekends.
- Free TB test.
- Free flu shots.
- Free parking in designated areas.
- Discounted meal tickets.
- Discount at the Gift Shop.
- Invitations to the Annual Appreciation Banquet and other appreciation events.
- New friendships with others who share your commitment.
- Special uniform which you purchase.
2014 Summer Teen Program - St. Joseph's Hospitals
Teens interested in applying to this program need to be aware of the following requirements:
- Eligibility: Teens 15-18 (must be 15 by June 9 and have a mininimum GPA of 3.0)
- Summer Program: June 9-August 15
- Minimum Commitment: Must complete 8 of 10 weeks, 4 hours, once a week, for 8 weeks
- Returning Teens receive priority for acceptance and placement. A limited number of spaces are available. These teens will receive a letter in mid-February telling them their place will be held until mid-March 2014. If they are interested in returning they must come to the St. Joseph's Hospital Volunteer Office to register, select a service and pick up the packet of information before March 14. Returning teens must attend a Re-orientation on May 12, 2014 from 5:30-7pm in the Medical Arts Building Auditorium.
- New Teen Applicants must attend an informational meeting on March 22, 9-11am in the St. Joseph's Hospital Medical Arts Auditorium. Parent and teen must both attend to learn about the program expectations, qualifications and application process. Those who can meet the requirements will be given an application to complete. The teens that are selected will be notified. New Teen Orientation will be May 5, 5:30- 8:30pm in the St. Joseph's Hospital Medical Arts Auditorium.
Please remember that space is limited. Availability is determined by the number of department requests for teens. No telephone registrations will be accepted.