When your child needs emergency care due to illness or injury, it can be a frightening experience. At St. Joseph’s Children’s Hospital, our expert pediatric specialists care for your child in our new and expanded Steinbrenner Children’s Emergency Room. We treat children using the most advanced technology in a calm, reassuring environment. Our goal is to get your child better and back to the activities he or she loves.
Pediatric Emergency Room in Tampa, Florida
We have the region’s largest team of board-certified pediatric emergency physicians. Our emergency room is a state-certified Level II pediatric trauma referral center, meaning we have the specialists and resources necessary to provide the highest level of care for your child. In our Children’s Emergency Room:
- A team of pediatric specialists is available 24/7, including surgeons, radiologists, anesthesiologists and nurses, who specialize in treating children.
- Child life specialists are available to meet and work with your child. A Child Life Specialist is a health care professional who provides services to meet the emotional, developmental and recreational needs of our pediatric patients. Learn more about our Child Life Specialists.
- Child advocates are on site to help assess the cause of home or out-of-home injuries and educate parents, caregivers and children on prevention.
- Our infant/pediatric transport team can pick up sick or injured children from any area hospital and transport them to our emergency room, using a specialized pediatric ambulance or by air via Bayflight.
Emergency Care for Children in Tampa, FL: The St. Joseph’s Approach
We designed our advanced emergency room with your child’s health and wellbeing in mind. Our staff of board-certified pediatric emergency physicians provides complete trauma care for children. We use the latest critical care technology and digital imaging to accurately diagnose and treat your child.
In addition to our expert staff and sophisticated technology, we have created a cheerful, warm atmosphere to make children comfortable and ease their anxiety. Features of our children’s emergency room include:
- Privacy and comfort in one of 22 private patient rooms
- Six “fast track” rooms for minor emergencies
- One isolation room for infectious diseases
- In-room entertainment system featuring kids’ movies, educational programs and computer games
- Kids-only lobby with our popular interactive fish pond in the flooring and bubble towers
- Separated waiting areas for well and ill children
Our new Children's ER will open December 16, 2013
Steinbrenner Children's Emergency Room
3001 W. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.
Tampa, FL 33607
Watch our patients' stories about their experience in our children's ER.