At St. Joseph's Children's Hospital, we have one of the largest pediatric cardiovascular surgical volumes in the Southeastern United States. You can have the utmost confidence that your child is in the most qualified hands available with our pediatric surgeons. Our pediatric cardiovascular surgical team performs hundreds of cardiac surgical procedures a year and treats all types of congenital and acquired heart disorders.
Our Dedicated Team: What You Should Know
- Specialized care: We are nationally known as a comprehensive center for children with single ventricle heart disease, specializing in simple and complex forms of Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome (HLHS).
- Excellent survival rates: 99% surgical survival (up to 30 days after surgery) and 96.4% long term survival
- Minimal scarring: We use cosmetic (bikini) incisions for female patients with congenital heart defects when minimally invasive techniques are not possible.
- Family-focused ICU: Our special, family-centered pediatric cardiac intensive care unit is always ready with open arms.
- For children only: Our dedicated, pediatric cardiovascular team offers superior care.
Pediatric Heart Surgery: Conditions We Treat
At St. Joseph's Children's Hospital, our cardiovascular team surgically manages all types of congenital and acquired cardiac defects including the primary repair and treatment of complex congenital heart defects in neonates. In addition, we have a special interest in the comprehensive care of patients with certain cardiac defects including:
- Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome (HLHS) and single ventricle heart disease
- Transposition of the great arteries
- Aortic valve and obstructive left heart lesion
- Tetralogy of Fallot (TOF) and TOF with pulmonary atresia (PA)
- Mitral and tricuspid valve dysfunction
- Adults with congenital heart disease
- Chest wall deformities
- Tracheal Malformations
St. Joseph's Children's Heart Center: Our Specialties
- Aortic Insufficiency Repair
- Aortic Stenosis Repair
- Arrthymia Surgery
- Atrial Septal Defect (ASD) Surgery
- AV Canal (AVC) Surgery
- Complex arterial switch
- Complex mitral and tricuspid valve repair
- Coronary Artery Fistula Surgery
- Double Outlet Left and Right Ventricle Surgery
- Double switch procedures
- Fontan Conversion
- Nuss Procedure
- Repair and palliation of Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome (HLHS)
- Patent Ductus Arteriosus (PDA) Surgery
- Patent Foramen Ovale (PFO) Closure
- Pulmonary Atresia Repair
- Ross procedure
- Ross/Kono arterial switch
- Stage I (Hybrid procedure for single ventricle patient)
- Stage II (Bi-directional Glenn shunt procedure)
- Stage III (Fontan procedure)
- Tetralogy of Fallout (TOF) Palliation
- Total Anomalous Pulmonary Veneous Return (TAPVR) Surgery
- Transposition of the Great Arteries or Vessels Repair
- Tricuspid Artresia Repair
- Tracheal reconstruction and transplant
- Valve Sparing Repair or Tetalogy of Fallot (TOF)
- Ventricular Septal Defect (VSD) Surgery
Cardiac Anesthesia Prepared Especially for Children
A specialized cardiac anesthesiology team ensures continuity of care for all pediatric cardiac patients, including children who require other types of surgery. We closely monitor and manage postoperative pain for our young patients, too.
For more information, call the Children’s Heart Center of Excellence at (813) 870-4135.