We will continue our internship program the Fall Semester of 2014. If you are interested in our internship program for the Fall Semester of 2014, applications must be postmarked no later than May 5, 2014.
Please contact the Internship Coordinator with questions at: (813) 554-8155 ext. 5
Thank you for your interest in a child life internship at St. Joseph's Children's Hospital of Tampa. Our internship is designed to meet the student's needs both professionally and academically. Below are some frequently asked questions about our internship program.
How long is the internship program?
Our internship program is a total of 600 hours, equivalent to 15 weeks. The hours vary dependent upon the rotation.
What areas of the hospital do interns get to experience?
Interns are able to rotate through a minimum of two and a maximum of four clinical areas. For students without special transportation needs there is an opportunity to rotate through a one-person Child Life Program at our sister hospital, St. Joseph's Children's Hospital of Tampa at Morton Plant Mease Countryside. The following are optional internship rotations:
- Special Procedures
- Emergency Department
- Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU)
- Pediatric Cardiac Intensive Care Unit (PCICU)
- Morton Plant Mease Countryside (MPM)
When should I apply? When do you accept interns?
|Internship:||Application Postmarked By:||Initial Offer Date:||Applicant Acceptance Required:|
|September 5th||2nd Tuesday of October||Within 24 hours of offer|
|January 5th||2nd Tuesday of February||Within 24 hours of offer|
|May 5th||2nd Tuesday of June||Within 24 hours of offer|
Do I have to be enrolled in a college or university to apply?
No, you do not have to be enrolled in a college or university to apply. We accept independent students as well as students currently enrolled in a college/university and require course credits.
What is expected out of interns?
- Two case presentations: a verbal presentation to the child life staff
- A presentation about a pediatric diagnosis and implications for child life work.
- A comprehensive Development Assessment: a verbal presentation to the child life staff based on theory
- Weekly behavior observation study or developmental assessment
- Partner with a Child Life Specialist to give a nursing in-service on the role of child life for student nurses or selected departments
- Prepare weekly small group activities with a written plan
- Prepare and facilitate two special events
- A project developed to meet an identified need within the department, including a presentation to the staff
- Shadow two other Child Life Departments and submit a one page written reflection of the experience
- Daily journal entry reflecting clinical experiences and observations
- Required weekly readings
- Complete weekly evaluations
- Complete evaluations of each rotation / preceptor
- Complete an evaluation of the overall experience at St. Joseph's Children's Hospital of Tampa
How do I apply?
Email, fax, or mail in the completed Internship Application along with your resume to:
Fax: (813) 554-8520
Mail: St. Joseph's Children's Hospital of Tampa
Child Life Department
ATTN: Leslie Holley
3001 W. Dr Martin Luther King Jr Blvd.
Tampa, FL 33607
How many students do you accept?
Dependent upon staffing we may only accept one student per semester
How does the selection process work?
There is a three step process in selecting Interns, consisting of evaluation of your application packet; then a telephone interview with the Internship Coordinator; and lastly, a phone interview with our education committee. Application is not a guarantee of acceptance as each step is evaluated based on criteria. If you are selected to move onto the next phase, you will be notified via telephone
How do I contact you if I have any questions?
If you have any questions, please contact us via email at email@example.com