At St. Joseph's Children's Hospital of Tampa, our child life department is committed to and excited about providing quality education and meaningful experiences for students seeking a career in Child Life. Our child life specialists are nationally certified by the Child Life Council, have at least 1 year of clinical experience, and undergo extensive training in order to precept practicum and internship students. Our programs are structured around individual learning styles, experiences and opportunities for clinical growth in order to provide an optimal learning experience for each student.
We are able to accept independent students as well as students affiliated with a college/university for either our practicum or internship program.
Child Life Practicum Program
Our Child Life practicum program is designed to provide students with insight into the child life profession as well as opportunities to interact with children through play activities. Practicum students have the opportunity to shadow our child life specialists during preparations, medical play experiences, medical procedures, and family support. Along with shadowing our child life specialists, practicum students also facilitate playroom activities and individualized bedside activities with children.
Apply or learn more about our practicum program.
Child Life Internship Program
Our Child Life internship program is an intensive 600-hour/15 week program designed to meet the student's needs both professionally and academically. Ideal candidates are students dedicated to the child life field who possess extensive knowledge of child and adolescent development, have experience working with children, and intend to become Certified Child Life Specialists. Our Child Life internship provides students with supervised and guided experience working with children and families in a hospital setting. This internship curriculum is based on components from the three domains addressed in the Child Life Certification exam. Our internship students are supported in the acquisition of professional child life skills by the following:
- Rotations through 2-3 clinical areas which may include:
- Surgical, Medical, Hematology/Oncology, Special Procedures, Emergency Department, Pediatric Intensive Care Unit, and Pediatric Cardiac Intensive Care Unit. For students without special transportation needs, we also offer the opportunity to rotate through a one-person Child Life Program at our sister hospital, St. Joseph's Children's Hospital of Tampa at Morton Plant Mease Countryside.
- In-services with CCLS's to enhance clinical learning based on lectures, readings, and discussion.
- Written assignments and presentations based on clinical experiences, developmental understanding and application of theory to practice.
- Participation in multidisciplinary meetings.
Apply or learn more about our internship program.