Interventional radiology procedures are truly advances in medicine that can replace many open surgical procedures. Minimally invasive interventional radiology treatments are easier on patients because they do not involve large incisions, which translates into less pain and shorter recovery times.
Interventional Radiology: Learn how it can help you
Our inverventional radiologists use their expertise in reading X-rays, ultrasound and other medical images to guide small instruments such as catheters (tubes that measure just a few millimeters in diameter) through the blood vessels or other pathways to treat disease percutaneously (through the skin). Some applications of this technology include nonsurgical pain management to help reduce back swelling, fibroid treatment, varicose vein treatment, and even strengthening a vertebral fracture. Consider the advantages of interventional radiology at St. Joseph's Hospital:
- Most procedures can be performed on an outpatient basis or require only a short hospital stay.
- General anesthesia usually is not required.
- Risk, pain and recovery time are often significantly reduced.
- The procedures are often less expensive than surgery or other alternatives.
- Procedures at St. Joseph's Hospital are conducted by interventional radiologists, who are medical doctors. They are board certified radiologists that are fellowship trained in percutaneous interventions using guided imaging.
For more information about Interventional Radiology at St. Joseph's Hospital, please call us at (813)870-4919.