Caring for Children with Cancer and Blood Disorders:
Why Choose St. Joseph's Children's Hospital
When your child is diagnosed with cancer, it affects the entire family. The journey is difficult, but with expert medical treatment and emotional support, you will find inner strength that you didn't think was possible. We, at St. Joseph’s Children's Hospital, believe in holistic, comprehensive cancer care. We personalize each child’s treatment to offer the best outcomes and apply the latest medical technology available. We also offer a number of support services to provide children, siblings, parents and caregivers with mental and emotional support all along the way.
Our Pediatric Cancer Team is passionate about giving children accurate diagnoses and effective treatments for each health condition. You can be assured that your child will receive a custom treatment plan that will be administered by professionals with the greatest expertise available in their respective fields. The services we offer and the conditions we treat at St. Joseph's Children's Hospital are vast.
Pediatric Cancer Program: Services at St. Joseph's Children's Hospital
We offer an array of services for all types of pediatric cancer and blood disorders. We will discuss the right treatment plan for your child, and your physician will help you choose the best options for your little one. As always, we are available for any questions you may have.
- Inpatient Care: Our child-friendly inpatient hospital offers large, colorful rooms for your child and you to stay together. The rooms are grouped in small clusters according to age. St. Joseph's Children's Hospital's top-notch pediatric intensive care unit is available, when needed, with full-time board certified pediatric intensivist physicians. Specially trained pediatric nurses provide around-the-clock care.
- Outpatient Care: Our lively outpatient hematology/oncology clinic provides ongoing treatment for children in a friendly, family-centered environment on the first floor of the St. Joseph's Cancer Institute. We also have an infusion center, hemophilia treatment center and coagulation laboratory, and long-term follow-up clinic four your convenience and continuum of care for your child.
- Radiation Therapy: We have a full-time pediatric radiation oncologist and a team of pediatric radiation therapists to care for your child at the Fred J. Woods Radiation Therapy Center. You can trust that we will be using state-of-the-art medical technology within this center to provide your youngster with exceptional care.
- On-Site Testing and Imaging: Our on-site laboratory and imaging center allow us to give you and your doctor test results quickly. With a staff and facility dedicated to children, you can be confident that we will make your child's experience as comfortable as possible.
- Surgery: When necessary, we have a full staff of pediatric general surgeons who work in concert with our cancer team.
At St. Joseph's Children's Hospital, we offer a number of support groups and programs for both the patient and other family members, including:
- Back to school program
- Certified Child Life Therapist
- Dedicated Pediatric Dietician
- Dedicated hemophilia case manager
- Education resources within all disciplines
- Family education resource room
- Music Therapy
- Medical play and distraction techniques
- Pediatric Social Workers
- Pediatric Rehabilitation services- OT, PT, ST and Audiology
- Partners in care (PIC) program for pain management, counseling and respite care
- Pastoral Care
- Resource to community links and financial assistance
- Pet therapy
- Pill swallowing program
- School teacher in the hospital to assist with homebound or dual enrollment
- Sibling support with hospital-wide SibShops each year
- Supportive counseling through treatment
Pediatric Cancer Research Laboratory
Our highly skilled research team conducts laboratory testing for clinical research studies and basic science research related to children's hematology and oncology through the Children’s Oncology Group (COG) Institute.
Location & Phone Number
1st floor, St. Joseph's Cancer Institute
Corner of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd. and Habana Ave.
Medical Director: Hardeo Panchoosingh, M.D.