When you or your child has a heart condition, you want to make sure you are getting the best care possible. At St. Joseph's, you can feel confident that you have chosen a leading center for diagnosing and treating patients with heart conditions. The Heart Institute provides heart services to patients of St. Joseph's Hospital, St. Joseph's Women's Hospital and St. Joseph's Children's Hospital. We see patients of all ages, ranging from babies still in the womb to adults. Our surgeons perform a high volume of cardiovascular surgeries every year.
Heart Institute in Tampa, FL
Our newly redesigned Heart Institute, open for services February 2014, offers you even more convenience and expanded services. Our customized procedure rooms are equipped with the most sophisticated technology available. We have also created more private, quiet spaces to maximize comfort for you and your family.
At our Heart Institute, we bring you advanced technology and the full spectrum of heart services, while continuing to provide the same level of personalized care you have come to expect. Watch our patient stories.
Our Heart Institute features:
- Plenty of space. 35,000 square feet, to be exact, located directly over the Pediatric and Adult Emergency Departments. The institute is on the same level as the Pediatric and Adult Post-Operative Intensive Care Units, giving you easy access to our services and decreasing the transport time between units.
- Pre-op and post-anesthesia care unit (PACU), providing specialized care for our adult patients undergoing heart procedures.
- Pediatric pre- and post-operative areas, with a new 20-bed pediatric prep recovery area, scheduled to open in 2015
- Expanded family waiting room and a private space for physicians to meet with families either before or after a procedure.
- Collaborative care. The Heart Institute makes it easy for our heart experts to communicate regarding your care. The procedure rooms are right next to each other, gathering our experts in one place. If questions or complications arise, we can quickly collaborate and interact, providing the services and expertise you need.
Advanced Heart Care at the Heart Institute
We've created dedicated areas where we can offer specialized care for all of your heart needs. Our procedure rooms are:
- Customized. We use the latest medical equipment, customized specifically to our space and needs. This design enhances workflow and efficiency, allowing our physicians to care for you with superior precision and excellence.
- Advanced. Our rooms are equipped with the most advanced cardiac equipment possible, including:
- Sophisticated heart-lung machines
- Imaging equipment that provides real-time, detailed, cross-sectional images, including 3-D imaging
- Surgical equipment that allows your physician to operate with unprecedented accuracy
- Convenient. We designed the location of the procedure rooms to minimize the transport time, providing quicker access to care.
Heart Procedure Rooms at St. Joseph's
These specialized areas combine sophisticated imaging and surgical technology with the expertise of our heart specialists:
- Interventional cardiologists
- Cardiothoracic surgeons
Our procedure rooms include:
- Hybrid suite. This suite combines a fully equipped operating room with a catheterization lab featuring sophisticated imaging equipment. Here, we perform the complex transcatheter aortic valve implantation (TAVI) surgery, a minimally invasive procedure for repairing faulty heart valves. Learn more about heart valve disease.
- Cardiovascular operating suites. Our surgeons perform cardiothoracic (heart and lung) surgery in our three cardiovascular operating suites. Learn more about cardiovascular disease.
- Cardiac catheterization labs. Our three cardiac catheterization labs, including a dedicated children's cath lab, are next to cardiovascular operating rooms, ensuring seamless collaboration for our heart team. These cath labs are also hybrid suites, combining advanced imaging technology with the ability and resources to perform heart surgery. Learn more about cardiac catheterization.
- Electrophysiology (EP) labs. Our electrophysiologists (heart rhythm specialists) diagnose and treat heart rhythm disorders in our two EP labs. Learn more about the Advanced Center for Atrial Fibrillation at St. Joseph's.
For more information or for a physician referral call (813) 644-4322. Get directions to our facility.