The goal of this rotation is to develop leadership, financial, strategic planning, and project management skills. The rotation will provide a basis for understanding the management and leadership of pharmacy operations within a health system.
The resident will be exposed to financial management, day to day operations, and oversight of human resources and technology. The resident will also participate in strategic planning to provide operational and clinical pharmacy services for 3 hospitals on campus.
- Develop an understanding of project and change management, including lean and six sigma methodology
- Involvement with personnel management and recruitment
- Develop an understanding of healthcare metrics
- Review and analysis of medication safety events
- Develop an understanding of financial metrics and budget details with an effort to improve financial acumen
- Involvement with operational and clinical pharmacy metrics
- Involvement with pharmacy operations for St. Joseph's Children's Hospital, St. Joseph's Hospital and St. Joseph's Women's Hospital.
- Applying human error models and management to pharmacy operations
- Develop an understanding of short-term and long-term strategic planning
- Participation in a pharmacy operations improvement project consisting of design, development, and implementation
- Involvement with technology oversight including distribution and integrated clinical systems
- Work independently and be responsible for assignments as guided by the preceptors.
- Attend and participate in the numerous meetings held within the department and with other departments, other areas in the hospital, and within BayCare. This participation shall provide the resident with the exposure to the multitude of relationships necessary for the functioning of the department (i.e. P&T Committee,
- Pharmacy Value Analysis Team Meeting, Quality Committee, Medication Error Reduction Task Force).
- Provide effective communication, both written and oral, to members of the department, and other departments within the hospital as necessary throughout the rotation
- Participate in various projects which may exist at the time of the rotation to provide experience in problem solving.
- Review and update designated sections of the department's policy and procedure manual as needed
- Discuss the process used to interview and recommend personnel for employment with leadership team
Patrick Birney, Pharm.D., MS
Carson Padgett, Pharm.D., MS, BCPS