A heart screening can be a lifesaving appointment. When it comes to heart disease, early detection is crucial. The earlier we diagnose the heart condition, the sooner we can treat it, increasing your chances for a successful outcome. St. Joseph's Hospital Healthy Heart Center, at our Heart Institute, is dedicated to prevention and early detection for a wide range of heart conditions.
Healthy Heart Center in Tampa, FL
The team at our Healthy Heart Center works with you to help you reach your heart health goals. We will discuss with you:
- The various heart screening options available
- Which screenings are appropriate for you
- When you should begin regular screenings and how often you need them
- Recommendations for making heart-healthy lifestyle changes
Learn more about our Healthy Heart Center.
Heart Screenings We Offer at St. Joseph's
Our heart team performs the full spectrum of heart screening procedures. We will discuss with you which screenings are right for you, based on your medical history and general health. For your convenience, we have designed screening "packages" that bundle together a number of different procedures. We perform them all in one visit, saving you time and money. All our screenings are self- paid (we accept check, credit card and FSA/HAS) and do not require a prescription from a physician.
Learn more about:
- Ultrasound screening package
- Healthy heart screening package
- Carotid artery screening package
- A1C screening
- Tanita scale analysis
- Payment for heart screenings
If you are interested in a comprehensive heart screening appointments are available on the following screening dates:
- Tuesday, April 22, 2014 8 a.m. – 4 p.m
This 45-minute screening includes:
- Echocardiogram, an ultrasound of the heart that may detect enlargement, valve abnormalities and other problems
- Carotid artery ultrasound, a test to determine your stroke risk by checking for fatty plaque buildup in the carotid arteries
- Abdominal aortic ultrasound, which determines your risk of an aortic aneurysm
- Electrocardiogram (EKG), to screen for abnormal heart rhythms
Our registered sonographers perform the ultrasound screenings, and board-certified cardiologists and radiologists review the results. We will mail you the screening results within approximately two weeks. Learn more about ultrasound screening package.
This 30-minute screening includes:
- Full lipid panel. Typically, this involves fasting for 12 hours. We then perform a blood test using finger stick to evaluate your total cholesterol, HDL cholesterol, LDL cholesterol, triglycerides and glucose (blood sugar levels)
- Blood pressure
- Body Mass Index (BMI). This is a calculation to determine a healthy body mass based on your height and weight.
- Health risk appraisal. This is a confidential report of your screening results
We will review the results of the screening with you to make sure we have answered all your risk questions. Learn more about healthy heart screening package.
This 20-minute screening includes a carotid artery ultrasound. The test determines your stroke risk by checking for fatty plaque buildup in the carotid arteries. Learn more about carotid artery screening package.
This test is also known as "glycated hemoglobin" or "HbA1c." It is a 15-minute screening that provides us with an analysis of your average blood sugar control over the past two to three months, helping us assess your risk of Type 2 diabetes. We obtain a blood sample through a finger stick.
We review the results of the screening with you at the time of your appointment, to ensure that we have answered all of your questions.
This test shows how much of your body is lean body mass and how much is unhealthy fat cells. A high amount of fat can lead to issues such as heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure and even cancer.
We recommend advance payment by credit card. You may also pay at the time of the screening in the form of cash, check or credit card. We also accept flexible spending accounts. Gift certificates are available.
Heart Screenings: Results
Depending on the results of your heart screenings, we may refer you to our heart team for further diagnosis and testing. Learn more about:
- Heart Conditions We Treat
- Heart Services We Provide
- Advanced Center for Atrial Fibrillation
- Vein Center
For more information or to schedule a screening appointment, please call the Healthy Heart Center today at (813) 872-3780. Get directions to our facility.